A Little Help?

Posted by on Jan 4, 2011 | 4 comments

I’m working on some posts to put up over the next few days, but right now I’m coming to you with a request.  I have a mama friend in Michigan with a five-year-old with an ASD dx, a four-year-old who is being assessed, and an 18-month-old with sensory issues.  She’s new to the state and needs information on how to get ABA services for her oldest.  Is anyone out there familiar with navigating the special needs support process in Michigan?  She can’t afford an advocate and would appreciate any help you can give.  Please feel free to comment here or in the discussion area on the Facebook page, and please let me know if you’d like to contact her directly.

Thank you in advance for all of your help, and I’ll return with some laughs tomorrow!

Share this: name;?> | name;?> | name;?> | name;?> | name;?> | name;?>
  • Tara

    I live in Michigan and have two boys with autism (5 and 10) – I’m still trying to navigate everything myself, but if she’d like to contact me, I might be able to be of at least some assistance. Probably her best first step would be to get in contact with her local Community Mental Health – some areas will set her up in a Wrap-around program to get services going, and if she hasn’t already done so she should also ask them about the Family Subsidy Program. Feel free to pass along my email address to her. 🙂

  • Maria Holbrook

    Does Michigan public school system not provide a parent advocate? Do they have the babies can’t wait program up there? In Georgia you are provided with a public school parent advocate (but you have to ask for one) and we have a program called “babies can’t wait for early intervention.

  • Wendy

    Maria – they do have an Early Intervention, and her youngest is alreay receiving services. What we’re trying to get now is ABA home services for her 5yo, which are traditionally not covered by the school system in the US. In researching all of this I’m finding that every state has similar systems, but they’re all slightly different. For instance, in California, children are covered under Regional Centers until age 3, then the school district takes over – unless the child has an autism diagnosis, then the Regional Center continues to offer social services through age 18, in addition to the school offerings. It would be nice if there was one system nationwide, run by the states, so it would be a little easier to navigate!!

  • Wendy

    Tara – thank you so much!! I’ve forwarded your information and you should be hearing from her shortly. I’ve found that the easiest way to navigate this intricate world we’ve been thrust into is by finding someone who’s done it as a guide. I really appreciate your volunteering to do just that!! I’m thinking now maybe I need to set up a state-by-state network here for people to contact with questions…